Kodiak Veterinary Clinic, located on Kodiak Island, AK, is seeking a Hospital Manager to join our team.
The Kodiak Veterinary Clinic is a full-service, friendly and very busy 2-DVM companion animal hospital located on Alaska's "Emerald Isle". We provide high quality, compassionate patient care to Island residents and their pets. Kodiak is a great community with a deep-rooted passion for the human-companion animal bond. At the very heart of that bond, is the relationship held with the island's veterinary team. Along with a friendly, fun, and team-oriented work environment, our hospital offers team members competitive wages, bonus plans, health insurance, ancillary health benefits, 401k, and steep discounts on pet care and pet care supplies.
For more information, please visit our website at: www.kodiakvet.com .
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL
- Full-service veterinary care with 24 hour on-call emergency service.
- Digital radiology
- State of the art in-house Idexx laboratory diagnostic equipment
- Companion Laser Therapy
- Digital patient monitoring w/EKG
- Fully equipped surgical suite
- Fixin Fracture Repair system
- HotDogger Patient Warming system
- Fully stocked in-house pharmacy
- Full-service dental treatment area with high speed ultrasonic scaler/polisher
- Wide variety of retail pet supplies and diets located in our own retail pet supply store.
About the Community:
Kodiak Island sits 20 miles off of the Alaska Peninsula in South Central Alaska - surrounded by the North Pacific Ocean. The city of Kodiak serves as the "hub" community for the Kodiak Island archipelagos, home port of the 3rd largest commercial fishing fleet in the nation as well as the largest U.S. Coast Guard base in the country. Unlike most rural Alaskan communities, the City of Kodiak features a heated indoor olympic-size public swimming pool, new library, an active arts council that features great entertainment and cultural events, shopping, great schools, full service emergency hospital and medical facilities, and much more. Kodiak Island also features amazing wildlife, both on land and at sea. Outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, hunting, birding, photography, kayaking, boating, sailing, and more are absolutely endless!
The Hospital Manager is a leader and an integral member of the veterinary hospital management team. The Hospital Manager partners with the Managing Veterinarian to provide a smooth and profitable operation by driving revenue and managing costs while creating a hospital culture based on high quality patient care and exceptional customer service. Responsibilities include managing, planning, and coordinating the overall operations of the hospital, and cultivating a supportive and collaborative team environment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Planning
- Acts as a champion for change and identifies, documents, shares, and promotes best practices.
- Participates in the planning and budget maintenance process.
- Establishes goals for the practice and staff.
- Creates the hospital schedule and manages labor costs to budget.
- Oversees employee benefits program and hospital insurance plans.
- Develops and implements hospital policy, including DEA/Controlled Substances and OSHA compliance.
- Performs quality checks and reviews of client files.
- Monitors computer systems and works with HelpDesk to resolve technical systems/equipment issues.
- Partners with the Managing Veterinarian to address staffing needs including hiring, training, reviewing, and disciplining of staff.
- Implements performance-based incentive and rewards and recognition programs.
- Manages staff, including grooming and boarding staff if applicable.
- Tracks and maintains current licensure for all DVMs.
- Demonstrates and reinforces the highest level of client service
- Resolves client issues and escalations, and oversees client follow-up communication.
- Drives client visits through strategic client communication and local marketing efforts (i.e. Community).
- Ensures payroll is accurately completed and submitted for all hospital staff.
- Manages accounts receivable and cash on hand, including performing invoice audit reviews.
- Manages hospital inventory and controls facility and administrative costs.
- Performs other duties essential to the performance of the hospital as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related degree is preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in a manager role, including customer service experience.
- Experience in a hospital setting in positions of increased responsibility is a plus.
Knowledge and/or experience in the following areas:
- Multi-functional operations including budget and labor management.
- Manage time and tasks appropriately and remain flexible with assigned duties.
- Supervisory and leadership experience.
- Reporting and data analysis.
- Problem solving and resolution management skills.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer skills i.e. Microsoft Office suite (Previous practice management software knowledge preferred).
- Interpersonal skills with staff and clients, and works well in a team environment.
- Customer service strategies and effective marketing techniques.
- HR policies and protocol development.
- Staff management including: coaching, developing, and motivating staff.
- Conduct performance appraisals.
- Delegate responsibility and achieve results with hospital team members.
- Make decisions confidently and effectively.
- Model a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the company to afford equal opportunities to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, non-disqualifying disability or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran.