The Department of Clinical Sciences is seeking applicants for a Veterinary Technician for the Mobile Surgical Unit. This position provides veterinary technical assistance and fourth year student instruction for the mobile spay/neuter trailer. The mobile surgical unit is a program that provides spay/neuter services and basic care for shelter animals maintained at facilities without a veterinarian or surgical facilities. The shelter medicine rotation is an elective course. Approximately 70 senior veterinary students will participate each year and approximately 4000 animals will be surgically altered. The shelter medicine technician is responsible for surgical preparation, anesthetic induction/monitoring, intra-operative assistance, and immediate post-operative care for shelter animals on location at regional facilities. This position is also responsible for coordination of activities with regional shelters, medical records, and oversight for stocking and cleaning of the mobile surgery unit.
Mobile Unit Surgical Responsibilities:
1) Maintains the prep and surgical areas of the mobile unit including equipment, supplies and medications
2) Prepares the surgical area of the mobile unit to provide a sterile environment. Maintains and monitors sterile technique
3) Assists as a surgical team member by preparing animals for anesthetic induction and surgery
4) Assist a senior veterinary students in anesthetic induction, surgical preparation, and post-operative care
5) Assists students with routine medical records. Communicates with regional shelter for follow-up care. This position assures accuracy of all data entries
6) Monitors and replenishes consumable inventory by determining the type and quantity of medical supplies needed daily
7) Assists with measures to increase efficiency of the mobile surgery unit as it relates to student instruction and patient care
1) Contributes to the strong collaborative working relationship with regional shelter organizations
2) Communicates with regional shelter to arrange visits and manage daily patient schedule
3) Participates in orientation of senior veterinary students
4) Organizes and maintains data collection for ongoing research
5) Begins each day with a clean, neat surgical attire; establishes and maintains good work habits; maintains positive, professional relationships with faculty, staff, students and shelters; and demonstrates behavior that is conducive to harmonious working relationships
6) Perform other duties as requested by the Shelter Medicine faculty member
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Completion of a two-year college program in veterinary or animal technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Two years of experience as a state credentialed veterinary technician (RVT, LVT, CVT) in animal or veterinary technical support.
Must be registered as a paraprofessional under the authority of the Kansas Board of Veterinary Medicine Examiner within six months of appointment.
Minimum of two year post-graduate experience in a veterinary hospital or shelter setting. Clinical teaching and/or supervisory experience will be considered a beneficial asset to this position. Have excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
Vet tech experience in a shelter setting or small animal primary care practice. A working knowledge of sterile technique and general anesthesia. Ability to perform word processing and data entry procedures on a personal computer. Be willing and able to master new techniques.
To apply, please submit an application along with a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references at http://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-us/job/501767/veterinary-technician-mobile-surgical-unit.
About Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine
Kansas State University is consistently recognized by the Princeton Review as one of the nation's best colleges. It's only going to get better. Under the
K-State 2025 plan, the university will be a Top 50 public research university by 2025, producing groundbreaking research that benefits our world. This goal is only attainable with the help of stellar employees.
Our students say one of K-Stat...e's greatest aspects is the feeling that everyone is family. Our employees enjoy this sense of community, as well. No matter where you're from, K-State and the Manhattan community quickly feel like home.